Recruitment of Excellent & Diverse Faculty
Recruitment with the intent to retain and promote an excellent and diverse faculty are priorities of Lehigh University.
Having a variety of people with different perspectives has been experimentally shown to improve productivity, make groups smarter, enhance decision making, and improve the climate (see citation list). Lehigh ADVANCE is positioned to help transform the university through its emphases on "team" scholarship, via the Cluster Hiring Initiative and many interdisciplinary teaching and research programs and centers, by informing the faculty recruitment process to increase the participation of women and minorities in the professoriate, in STEM, and more broadly.
About Recruitment of Faculty at Lehigh University
- Faculty Hiring from the Office of the Provost (checklist, policies and forms)
- Explore Lehigh ADVANCE Best Practices for Recruitment Tool Kit
- A new Faculty Recruitment: Best Practices for Diversity and Excellence resource is being developed. This resource is intended as a supplementary guide for recruiting new faculty. Its purpose is to suggest best practices for both long-term recruitment strategies and specific faculty searches. Consult the Provost's Office Web Site and your college for additional information and forms for the search process.
Databases to Tap the Pipeline for Recruitment
- Minority & Women Doctoral Directory is a registry which maintains up-to-date information on employment candidates who have recently received, or are soon to receive, a Doctoral or Master's degree in their respective field from one of approximately two hundred major research universities in the United States. The current edition of the directory lists approximately 4,500 Black, Hispanic, American, and women students in nearly 80 fields in the sciences, engineering, the social sciences and the humanities.
- Database of Databases of speakers from diverse backgrounds
- Programs and Awards. Build your network. Be familiar with programs that produce excellent candidates.